ENTER NOW! This category is designed to reward UK based organisations engaged in volunteer tourism that can demonstrate the delivery of benefits to the local communities in which they work and the volunteers involved.
Volunteering overseas is rapidly growing and it is imperative that organisations engaged in this type of work are passionate about the positive developmental outcomes whilst also working to minimise the negative impacts. It is crucial to ensure that such programmes impact constructively on economic, social and environmental issues within local communities.
Judges will score the entry out of tenon each of the following criteria elements. To ensure that you maximise your scores we highly recommend that you set out your submission document with each of these headings and respond fully to each in turn.
Your submission statement should not exceed 3,000 words, but can be supported by supplementary evidence. Supporting evidence is limited to ONE folder and can include photographs, diagrams, business plans, testimonials, sample brochures etc. All entries must be accompanied by the Official Entry Form.
For help on completing your entry, please refer to our FAQs or contact the secretariat directly.
Volunteer programmes must:
- Promote self-funding volunteer efforts that deliver skills transfer or provide a supporting role to a community/project
- Don’t replace local employment
- Match volunteers’ skills with community needs, provide volunteer support
- Have financially transparent practices
- Commitment to sustainable best practice
- Involvement with local communities in planning and decision making
- Maintaining and encouraging social, cultural and natural diversity through recruitment selections and/or placemaking
- Managing expectations of the volunteer and host (community/project/destination)
- Assessment of environmental impacts or the project overall / Using resources sustainably
- Demonstrate tangible benefits for the volunteers and projects/hosts involved
- Quality, innovation and marketability
- Promotion of sustainable tourism to end user
- Provides a good example for others to follow
Entries are invited from UK based BETA members and UK based non-member companies.
Organisations can enter one or more award category with either the same or another project as appropriate.
Organisations that have been successful in winning a particular category for three consecutive years will not be permitted to enter. These organisations will be listed in the Hall of Fame. A period of one year must pass before that organisation is eligible to enter again.
All submissions must be received in hard copy by 17:00 GMT on 7 November 2016. The panel of judges will meet in person to review each submission and supporting evidence and rate the successfulness of each criteria point out of 10. The short-listed nominations will be announced in mid November with the winners being announced at a glittering ceremony in Central London on Monday 5 December 2016.
The award ceremony will take place on Monday 5 December 2016 in the Dive Bar & Screening Room at the Ham Yard Hotel, where we will celebrate the crème de la crème of the British youth, student and educational travel industry! Tickets are £49 + VAT per delegate for BETA members and £65 + VAT for non- members. Book your tickets now.
Format of submissions
The Official Entry Form can be completed online, however, a copy MUST be sent via post along with your supporting statement and supplementary evidence in order to meet the entry requirements. Postal entries are mandatory as judges meet in person.
Supplementary evidence is limited to ONE folder and can include photographs, diagrams, business plans, sample leaflets etc.
All entries MUST be posted to the address below and arrive prior to the submission deadline at 17:00 GMT on Monday 7 November 2016. Receipt of each submission will be acknowledged.
Please note the PO Box is unable to accept deliveries from couriers. Please leave sufficient time for your entry to arrive. Submissions that arrive after the deadline will not be entered.
BETA, PO Box 182, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 2XW
For more information please call the BETA team on + 44 (0)20 8669 1444 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgENTER NOW!